Last night my roommate decided spontaneously to go to the "Indian" part of town to eat. I am not usually one for Indian food, but I am one for spontaneity, so off we went to a part of town I had never seen before. It was a completely different scene than the area where I live and work. I live in a predominantly white part of town (I'm not a racist, that's just where my company moved me to be close to work). This side of the city, though, is incredibly saturated with multiple ethnic groups. In our short time there we met Indians, Pakistanis, Saudis, and Mauritanians! I loved it!
We ate at a Mediterranean restaurant called Pappa's. The restaurant was a renovated railroad car, which was really cool because the last time I had eaten in a railroad car was back when I was a drifter. The food was good and reasonably priced. The atmosphere was probably what made it the most enjoyable. When we were going to pay our bill we met the owner. He chatted with us for a little bit about how the area of town came to be as it is now; he even offered to get us something else to eat or drink, but we were already full.
After we left the restaurant we just walked around the market area. In the part of town I live in, almost everything shuts down at six o'clock or so, so it was nice to just walk around in the evening. I bought some paprika from a street vendor, and my roommate bought a Arab-style scarf from a little shop ran by a couple guys from Mauritania.
All in all it was a really fun evening, and we're planning on going back Friday.
No comments:
Post a Comment